This page is an archive of the discussion about the proposed deletion of the article below. This page is no longer live. Further comments should be made on the article's talk page rather than here so that this page is preserved as an historic record.
The result of the debate was MERGE. dbenbenn | talk 15:14, 8 Mar 2005 (UTC)
American Idol contestants are not notable unless they win or, like Clay Aiken, become big stars. RickK 08:29, Feb 23, 2005 (UTC)
- I wouldn't go that far... The 12 finalists do become at least minor celebrities. For this one, I'd say merge and redirect with American Idol#Season four for the time-being. She's undoubtedly one of the best on the show and is bound to go far, so at some point she'll deserve an article to herself. Postdlf 08:35, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- American Idol contestants do merit inclusion if they become an irritating, overplayed, Warholian cultural phenomenon like William Hung. But Carrie Underwood doesn't fulfill any of those criteria, so
delete merge and redirect this one. Szyslak 08:38, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Changed my vote; don't know why I didn't think of that at first. Szyslak 10:02, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Keep, with reservations. Article needs expansion. I would say Top 12 in this competition would merit some notability. 12,000 Google hits. Megan1967 08:42, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Redirect to American Idol#Season four. Not notable enough to merge. --Carnildo 08:45, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Redirect as per Carnildo's suggestion--nixie 10:04, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Keep. Celebrity = notability. --Centauri 12:15, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Merge and Redirect seems to be a reasonable compromise. Andrew Lenahan - Starblind 13:20, Feb 23, 2005 (UTC)
- Merge, And redirect. Every inch of my body yearns for this whole Idol abomination to go away but that's beside the point. She may warrant her own article (kicking and screaming as we speak) if she makes it far/wins (I'm almost passing out). Inter 15:50, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Merge and redirect. Non-notable right now. Carrp | Talk 15:54, 23 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Merge, as above. Radiant! 09:10, Feb 24, 2005 (UTC)
- Delete. We should limit articles to the final 12 and bizarre exceptions like William Hung. Gamaliel 01:05, 25 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Merge and redirect into season four as suggested by Carnildo. —RaD Man (talk) 02:23, 25 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- This is very interesting, because my dad is rooting for her. Not quite fancruft either. I would say wait for her to advance in the competition because she's very good. Then she would be worthy of an article, especially if she won, however it looks like Anthony Fedorov might beat her to it. Keep and Expand depending on where she stands. -- Riffsyphon1024 02:27, 25 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Keep. DAVODD 00:53, Feb 27, 2005 (UTC)
- Merge and redirect for now. Keep the options open for possible updating. If she turns into one of the biggest names (she already is showing signs of it), then the article will be necessary.
- Delete for not meeting the Notability and Music Guidelines. Tuf-Kat 04:51, Feb 27, 2005 (UTC)
- BTW, I had delinked all the American Idol, season four contestant names, but someone added the red links back in; as the results of this appear to be to merge, that article should be taken care of too (again) so we're not doing this mess again with every contestant before any of them have gotten anywhere. Postdlf 22:45, 27 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Delete. As Tuf-Kat says, doesn't meet the recommended music guidelines. Rossami (talk) 04:35, 28 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Delete. Talent contestants, reality show cast members, game show contestants, beauty contest winners, other people who gain their 15 seconds of manufactured pseudo-celebrity very rarely end up having enough enduring notability for an encyclopedia article. And this person is very far from being an exception. --BM 15:56, 28 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Delete. The WikiProject Music/Notability and Music Guidelines are by any measure very liberal. A musician who does not meet them and has no other notability clearly doesn't belong. —Korath (Talk) 04:37, Mar 2, 2005 (UTC)
- Redirect as suggested by Carnildo Jdcooper 13:52, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Keep I LOVE her.
This page is now preserved as an archive of the debate and, like some other VfD subpages, is no longer 'live'. Subsequent comments on the issue, the deletion, or the decision-making process should be placed on the relevant 'live' pages. Please do not edit this page.